Subject: Re: Classic Macs Intro Post
From: Michael Jardeen

1). I have now 3 donated 512K Macs, none with any software including no system software. Since I haven't been able to boot them up, I'm not sure what I can do with them. I believe that they can use System 3.2 (?) and that I should be able to use them "the old way" to work as word-processors, with an old MacWrite-type application

Having recently set up a Plus for my daughters to use I can comment. The 512 is nearly useless except as a word processor. The problem you will find is in getting the system and a program on the same 800k dirve. You can do it but then try to find a program that can open the files created with MacWrite! The solution for me was to get an external HD. There are 20meg drives that work with the 512k. Good luck

Always Apple!, Michael

Subject: SE-30 Upgrade (was: Classic Macs Intro Post)
From: GaryC95687

3) Finally, I have an SE/30 with a dead hard drive, Not even seen or found by Norton, other disk repair utilities. Where can I get a cheap internal drive? I probably don't need a big one, since we won't be doing multimedia on its 9" B/W screen, but a 40 or 80 would be nice. It has 5MB RAM, probably all I need for a ClarisWorks machine, but maybe I could make it a simple e-mailer? (I have an old slow modem).

For a cheap internal drive, check out Shreve Systems's ad in MacUser and MacWorld. They used to have a $99 160 MB Apple hard drive (new) with System 7.5 and Clarisworks 3.0 and all the manuuals, etc. Their latest ad offers 40 MB drives for $39 but they may have other deals. Phone them at 1-800-227-3971, or visit their website at www.shrevesystems.com.

You might also want to check out APS's web site; they have a bargain basement section: www.apstech.com.

The SE-30 is quite a powerful machine with great expansion capabilities (I think it can address 128 MB of RAM!). I gather that its main drawback is that its ROMs aren't 32-bit clean. MODE32 solves most of 32 bit related problems but not all. Apple has stated that 7.5.5 is the last OS which will run on such machines.

I'd be interested in others' opinions regarding whether 7.5.5 is advisable, if the RAM burden isn't a problem. In other words, anyone care to chime in on what your favorite OS is, and why, for various '030 models.

My "pet" is a Brainstorm accelerated (16MHz 68000) Mac Plus, which I use 7.1 on, quite satisfactorily, with the max 4 MB RAM installed.

From: James A. Collins

1). I have now 3 donated 512K Macs, none with any software including no system software. Since I haven't been able to boot them up, I'm not sure what I can do with them. I believe that they can use System 3.2 (?) and that I should be able to use them "the old way" to work as word-processors, with an old MacWrite-type application, then output either via sneaker-net to our "high-end" machine (LC 575) to doll them up with graphics, etc; or via a local-talk network to the other machine. This way I can have 4 students composing word-processing documents at a time, rather than one. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions? What can I do re: memory in these machines? One has an external 800K drive, I can't tell if the other two had their internal drive upgraded to 800 or are still 400K. Any cheap solutions? Most importantly, where can I get old System Software or old word-processing software, like MacWrite? If you have the software, e-mail me the file. Thanks!

System 3.2 is available for download from the Mac512k Web Page: http://www.prairienet.org/~sdcosper/mac512k.html. I belive he has MacWrite and MacDraw there as well.

Happy hunting,

Jimmy

From: zws.com System Administrator

1). I have now 3 donated 512K Macs, none with any software including no time, rather than one. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions? What can I do re: memory in these machines? One has an external 800K drive, I can't tell if the other two had their internal drive upgraded to 800 or are still 400K. Any cheap solutions?

Well, first, the 512K and 512Ke are not expandable, sorry (there may be some third-party hacks, but I've never heard of them). You can tell if they have 400K drives by shining a flashlight in. If they have 800K drives you should be able to see the upper head. 400K drives have a felt tensioning pad instead of the upper head.

Most importantly, where can I get old System Software or old word-processing software, like MacWrite?

There are many old System versions available for download from Apple. This is a list of Apple sites a Mac penpal emailed me some time ago. I have found lots of useful material (including various pre-6 releases) on ftp.info.euro.apple.com.

download.info.apple.com
ftp.apple.com
ftp.apple.com.au
ftp.austin.apple.com
ftp.cambridge.apple.com
ftp.info.apple.com
ftp2.info.apple.com
ftp3.info.apple.com
ftp.info.euro.apple.com
ftp.support.apple.com
ftptoo.support.apple.com
seeding.apple.com

2) I also have a donated Mac SE, (not /30), which works, but wonder what I can do to upgrade it. It has a 20mg hard disk and system 6.02, and 1 meg RAM. I have some other 1 meg 30-pin chips, can I upgrade RAM and use

Definitely yes. You can expand the SE up to 4Mb RAM, and it has a standard 50-way SCSI connector on the logic board so you can add any 3.5" SCSI hard drive (subject to a caveat, see below). There is a PDS slot in it which you can use to add an external, larger monitor. The coolest upgrade path for the SE is to pull the logic board and pop in the logic board from an SE/30. The casework is identical and the upgrade takes 5 minutes. An SE/30 can have a color display card and monitor fitted to it, also.

3) Finally, I have an SE/30 with a dead hard drive, Not even seen or

If I wasn't in Australia I'd offer to mail you one 8-) I have quite a few old 40Mb SCSI drives. But you just need any old SCSI drive, just about. If you get a non-Apple drive, you won't be able to use Apple HD SC Setup on it; you will need a third-party SCSI driver/formatter such as LaCie's SilverLining.

If you have lots of 1Mb 30-pin SIMMs lying about, put four more in the SE/30 and bring it up to 8Mb RAM.

Something I forgot in a previous post: The Mac 512K has 64K ROMs which don't support 800K drives (you need a special INIT, originally supplied with the Apple Hard Disk 20, to support them). The Mac 512Ke has 128K ROMs which support both 800K floppies and the Apple Hard Disk 20. I happen to have two sets of 128K ROMs here, doing nothing. To the person with the 512K Macs: if you discover you need 128K ROMs, I'm happy to mail these two sets to you; they're very small, so airmail will be cheap.

Subject: MacSE
From: Geoffrey Chan

I have an SE w/ 1mb RAM and 20mb HD. What do I have to do to use that computer with a PPP account?
Thanks for you help.

Geoff

Subject: Software for MacPlus to PowerMac.
From: Daniel Dorval

Hello ClassicMacs,

We would like to advise your members of a new game which works on a MacPlus to a PowerMac.

This game is called "DOUBLE".

PCV has created a beautiful "web" site for the promotion of DOUBLE and we invite you to visit it: http://www.pcv-soft.com/double

At the web site, all necessary information is available to you such as; Product description, Instructions.

As well, you will be able to download the appropriate software version (demo) for free.

Here is a brief description of DOUBLE:

DOUBLE is a game of solitaire. Its purpose is to be educational, Intellectually stimulating and fun for the whole family.

The complete version of "Double" offers 21 board designs (tile configurations), 14 standard themes such as: mathematics (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) and Visual assimilation (Shapes, colors). Moreover, and this is one of the important advantages of Double, you can easily create new themes for Double and can exchange them with other players.

The demonstration version of Double permits you to play and complete one theme with one tile configuration. The other themes and tile configurations can all be used but the player is limited to only ten moves in each case. All other possibilities and options of the game may be explored at will.

Daniel Dorval
Sales Manager
PCV Enr.

Double: More than a game!
*educational, Intellectually stimulating and fun for the whole family.
http://www.pcv-soft.com/double

Produced by PCV Enr.
email: double@pcv-soft.com

CMD Home | Subscribe | Index | 1996 Index | CM Trading Post