CMD Home | Subscribe | Index | 1996 Index | CM Trading Post

Table of Contents for this issue:
Mac Plus/SE on the net
In need of a Mac Classic mentor
Mac Classic II/7.5.5
Who does repairs on SE/30's
Classic Macs
Mode 32 woes
HD for PB180
Mac Classic RAM upgrade illustrated info source
Mac II random restarts
MacPlus keyboard i/o after shipping
32-Bit Clean...etc.
Laserwriter
Apple 8.24GC Video Card w/Mac IIci
Apple 12" Monochrome Monitor Repair?
PRAM trouble on Classic logic board
Reviving Mac 128
Monitors for Mac IIsi
Cache in Mac IIsi?
Decompressing the system
Uses For Color Classic
My trusty MacSE
Count me in!
Uses for 512K Mac & SE/30

Subject: Mac Plus/SE on the net
From: royson

I'm an internet developer and have spent several weeks working with Pluses and SE's, as internet clients/servers. I'm hoping to setup very inexpensive clients using these machines. The SE30 is more than up to the task, but unfortunately they still go for $300-$500. This sounds cheap, but I recently bought brand new PowerMac 6116's (8/700, with 14.4 modems, keyboards, and even Cd Roms!) for $650, so by comparison, SE30's are not a good value. I've been buying Pluses for $75, and SE's for $125, which is less than the costs of the modems I connect them to! I've read posts here with some interest, here are my observations:

1.To connect to an ISP with a Plus or SE you'll need MacTCP, and PPP or FreePPP (note that FreePPP ver 2.5 won't run on monochrome macs)

2. Netscape won't run on monochrome Macs. This is not due to memory requirements (although it is greedy all right) but because it addresses color quickdraw, which is not present on Pluses or SE's. Mosaic 1.x works great, and so does MacWeb, I prefer MacWeb, but it is no longer being published, I found a version from a couple of years ago in AOL's software library. Speaking of AOL, you can run their software (I tried ver 2.5) but their browser won't work because you need 5+ megs of ram to run it.

2. Modern Modems work fine on Pluses or SE's, you need to turn down the port speed in config PPP. I've used Global Village 28.8 and connected at 24.6 K.

Finding some of this stuff took time, I'll be happy to save anyone who is looking with some pointers.

Royson Parsons

Subject: In need of a Mac Classic mentor
From: Antony Gravett

My father-in-law lives in Punta Gorda, Florida (on the Gulf Coast) and uses his Mac Classic on a daily basis. He is 83 years old.

I help him with Mac-specific questions as much as I can, but I live many thousands of miles away, in upstate New York.

Is there anyone who lives near to Punta Gorda who would be prepared to help him from time to time? He uses only two applications: Clarisworks and Jim Leitch's excellent Address Book -- and the Classic is connected to a DeskWriter printer.

If anyone can offer their help on an hourly basis (for which he would gladly pay), that would be great. The local computer stores only speak IBM, of course, and he is considered a misfit among his (Lions Club) associates for having a Mac!

Thanks in advance for any help or referral you can offer.

Tony Gravett

Subject: Mac Classic II/7.5.5
From: Albert L. Lilly III

Hi All,

I have a Mac Classic II that I have installed a 340 MB internal hard drive into, and run with 10MB of RAM. To help with overheard, I have installed RAM Doubler 2.0. The System currently is 7.5.5. I run most modern applicationw with this machine, including Word 6.0, Excel 5 ( I also have a 68882 FP U installed) and Finale 3.5.2. All run fine, albeit a little slow, on this machine.

I am writing to add my confirmation that 7.5.5 and many apps can run on 10 MB of memeory, provided one does not become too wild with extras ( control panels, system extensions, etc.)

I am also writing to see if anyone has a good source for a video monitor for this machine. The 9 inch internal monitor has a band at the top that is stretched, and then there is extra space at the bottom of the monitor.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Best,

AL

P.S. I also have a PowerMac 6100 and a PB 5300, but the old Classic II holds a near and dear spot in my heart!

Subject: Who does repairs on SE/30's
From: Dan Keldsen

I have an SE/30 whose internal screen only shows a vertical line at this point. Fortunately, I have a RasterOps video card that can run a 2-page greyscale monitor. UNFORTUNATELY, that monitor is in use by another machine.

I'd like to spend minimal money getting the internal monitor running so I can use this as an alternate AIMS server, or test-bed ListStar or WebStar server.

So, any ideas on what the problematic part might be, and who can fix it for a reasonable price?

On another note, I've got a half-dozen or so SCSI<->Ethernet boxes (Asante EN/SC 10-T) that we might be willing to part with. We're not giving them away, since we can still use them in case of emergency, but if you need one, make an offer.

Subject: Classic Macs
From: Jeffrey Bipes

I use an SE/30 on a cart from a DEC VT100 Terminal, connected to my X-10 controller. I usually roll this around, and out of the way, after I've re-programmed the X-10 controller. Recently, my 22 mo. old daughter has been playing with me in my office, and while I was on my other system, with my back turned, I heard the click and start-up tone on the SE/30. She had found the switch, turned it on, and managed to 'click and drag' a number of items around the screen. I ran KidPix, much to her dismay, as I took the mouse from her, and let her play. She calls it 'mousy', (the mouse, obviously) and objects noisily when I pull her away. She has managed to re-name a number of folders, but that's the only problem.

I also run a IIfx as my main system. 32 megs memory, and an 850 meg. disk. The reason I like it so much, is the fact I can run multiple monitors easily. I have a 21" black and white, the Apple 2-page, and 2 Apple 13" RGB color monitors. People who have never seen a set-up like this can't believe it. They are amazed the Mac can do multiple monitors, and are still wow-ed when I pick up an object and drag it across the four screens. They can't figure out why their Wintel box can't do this, or even why they can't find decent Portrait Monitor.

My wife is a writer, and uses an Apple Portrait, and a 13" color monitor on *her* fx. Still love 'em!