CMD Home | Subscribe | Index | 1996 Index | CM Trading Post

Table of Contents for this issue:
Re: OS for 128K Mac
Classic Accelerators
Re: Classic Macs Post
Which version of the OS is best?
Re: Classic II Replacements
Re: Classic Macs Posts 11.13.2
Re: Which Macs had 68020
Re: Old Mac Systems
Upgrading my Mac SE
Re: StyleWriter 2500 on 68000 Mac
Mac512 Mormom geneology application
Re: MacPlus
Re: MacIIvx
Re: Classic Macs Posts
Re: Classic Posts 11.13.2
Re: Mac II RAM problem
32Mhz '030?
Re: Can't Throw Out the Trash
SIMMS
Re: Mac Plus // Upgrades

Subject: Re: OS for 128K Mac
From: FEDWARD

One of my friends give me a very challenging question. He has a Mac 128K model but don't have the software to make it works. How can I get the System Disks for ths machine? Can anyone tell me?

Sun Remarketing (800) 821-3221
sales@sunrem.com
System 3.2 Part #411-100 ($15)

Subject: Classic Accelerators
From: Pat Lajeunesse

I was thinking of getting the Color Classic Accelerator from Sonnet, but I'm a little spooked by these reports of incompatibility problems after installing accelerators. I live pretty far away from California, so I'd really rather not have to return anything I ordered!

Does anyone have any experience with the Sonnet Color Classic accelerator? It's a '030 33 mhz with a 16k cache and FPU.

Thanks

Subject: Re: Classic Macs Post
From: FEDWARD

I have an 80 mb hard drive from my Centris 610. Could she use that? I also have a US Robotics14.4 modem that I could send her as well.

Both work fine in a Classic. You must have the appropriate handshaking cable to attach modem to port to achieve 14.4 throughput. Also must have special TORX wrench to get inside the Classic's case.

Subject: Which version of the OS is best?
From: FEDWARD

Also, what would be the optimum System OS to run with the Mac SE?

Definitely System 7.0 w/7-up or 7.0.1 for the SE. Best balance of System 7 features with greatest stability on a 68000. Add on MenuChoice or HAM, SuperClock!, The Tilery and INITPicker (or similar Ext manager like ConflictCatcher) and you're got the best of all worlds. The additional features of 7.5 cannot justify their expense on your available RAM and performance.

Typically cannot easily install greater than 7.0 w/ 7-up on an SE due to the 800k drive limitation. Does anyone know of 7.0.1 or 7.1 on 800k disks? I'd still say that you're unnecessarily pushing the envelope and spending too much RAM for anything beyond 7.0.1.

Check with TechWorks for best deals on PowerBook RAM.

TechWorks
4030 West Barker Lane
Austin, TX USA 78759-5319
http://www.techwrks.com
800 794-0189

Subject: Re: Classic II Replacements
From: Albert L. Lilly III

First, Can I replace the battery on a Classic II or must this be done by a dealer. Are there any workarounds?

You can do it. You need:

1. Case Splitter to get Classic II apart.
2. Torx 15 Screw driver with a long neck to get the screws out of the top and the back.
3. The battery, which you can get at any store.

The battery is on the mother board, which is easily accessible wonce the case is opened.

Second, is the (40Mg) drive replacable?

Yes. Again, an easy job. Contact a vendor to supply a new SCSI hard drive (I have a 340MB in my Classic II). The hard drive is held in a bracket with four screws connecting the bracket to the hard drive body, and two more connecting the backet to the machine frame. Take your time, and be certain to reinstall the termination bars on the hard drive. These are the two small multi-pinned bars inserted into the row of wholes at the point that the SCSI cable connects to the hard drive from the mother board. (Hard to describe, but clear once you see it).

Thanks in advance

The Torx 15 and the case splitter are vital parts that any onwer of an all-in-one Mac should own.

Al

Subject: Re: Classic Macs Posts 11.13.2
From: Stephen R

I know there are plenty of accelerators available for the venerable IIci, but is there anything out there to speed up a IIcx, short of a motherboard upgrade?

Radius used to produce a NuBus accelerator board (three flavours: 68040 at either 25MHz (with or without FPU), or 33MHz), which I used on my IIcx for a few years -- the Rocket... -- which (in its last incarnation) came with RocketWare and RocketShare, which let you actually use the two separate processors (the 16MHz on the IIcx, and the 68040 on the Rocket) work as two separate computers -- handy for processing renders, etc. in the background...

[Pretty innovative for 1992! IIRC, at the time, there were even plans to build a black box -- "SkyLab"??? -- to plug in to any(?) Mac, which would hold four or eight Rockets, to provide MP power you could only _dream_ of at the time! (Long live DayStar's Genesis!!!)]

I still use the IIcx (mainly for Internet connections, etc.), but the Rocket is wrapped up waiting for the day I get a Power Mac (and can use the IIcx as some sort of (accelerated) internal server...) at home, because the software (I think) conflicts (somehow...?) with the serial ports, slowing my modem down to a crawl.... Apart from that, it was pretty robust, and made a very noticeable difference -- especially as it accelerates QuickDraw in conjunction with other Radius video cards. Highly recommended... -- if you can get hold of one...!?

The Rocket has eight 30-pin SIMM slots (to be filled four at a time) on it, which, in non-MP mode, are the only available memory. In MP mode, the memory on the Rocket is used by the 68040, and the motherboard SIMMS are used by the IIcx...

A SCSI-2 daughterboard was also available, I believe...

- $.