CMD Home | Subscribe | Index | 1996 Index | CM Trading Post

Table of Contents for this issue:
Open Transport and MAC IIcx/7.5.5 Compatible?
Re:screen for PB170?
best deals on PowerBook RAM.
Old Mac, newer hard drive
Changing LC475 Battery
Vaseline
IIfx help
Re: Color Classic and LC upgrades

Dead Color Classic
Screen stretcher?
SE/30
Dark Castle
Re: Fixing Sound Problems
B/W screens etc.
CyberFinder etc
IIcx and Live Objects
Re: Plus & Zips
Re: Classic Macs Posts 11.15.2
Re: couple questions
re: Toaster Games
Re: old system software.
Re: Classic Macs Digest 11.16
Mac plus Zip
sys 6.0.8 from ftp2.
Repost: Virtual Monitors
Classic Parts & Cables Avail
Re: DayStarred Mac II, > 8MB?
Re: Classic Macs Posts 11.15.2

Subject: Open Transport and MAC IIcx/7.5.5 Compatible?
From: Todd Griffith

I have tried installing OT 1.1.1 and started having intermittent DNS failures. I tried OT PPP 1.0 with OT 1.1.1 and could not get to work DNS wise at all. I use MACTCP 2.06 and MACPPP and it works reliably. If OT is the future, is it going to work for me?

My System: Mac IIcx 20/100/zip/netscape3.01/no VM/7.5.5

Thanks for any resonses in advance!

Todd Griffith

Subject: Re:screen for PB170?
From: Ken Walend

Does anyone know a source for a new screen for a PB170? I was given one in perfect working order except for a cracked screen.

DT&T; (800-622-7977) http://www.dttservice.com had parts at good prices (~1/2 Apple) for my PowerBook 160. We didn't find all the problems first try, but they worked with me until all were fixed, and they give same-day turnaround. There's no kickback, but it'd be nice if you let them know I sent you, since they went the extra mile for me!

Subject: best deals on PowerBook RAM.
From: Ken Walend

Check with TechWorks for best deals on PowerBook RAM.

Most recent copy of MacWeek lists some ridiculous RAM prices from OtherWorldComputing at (800) 275-4576, starting at 1 MB 30 pin 80 NanoSecs for $9.75; 32 Mb 72's are $199! I can recall when these were thousands!

The sad fact is that PowerBook RAM has NOT dropped in price because of its proprietary configuration. The lowest prices on my PB160 wish list are 8MB/$235 and 10MB/$279 from Data Memory Systems a month or so ago (800-662-7466). Most are $100+ MORE!

Subject: Old Mac, newer hard drive
From: Dennis Ducklow

I have an old Mac Plus that is for my son's use and a newer LC 520 for myself. One day I attached the 50mb hard drive from the Plus to the LC. The problem occurred when I later realized that the Plus would no longer recognize the hard drive. Apparently, in connecting to a newer computer, I destroyed something in the drive and it is not repairable.

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

TIA,

Dennis

Subject: Changing LC475 Battery
From: Allan Atherton

I got a new battery for my LC475 from Radio Shack, but could not get the black box off of the old battery on the logic board. What is the trick to this?

Allan Atherton, Louisville, KY