CMD Home | Subscribe | Index | 1996 Index | CM Trading Post

Table of Contents for this issue:
sys 6.0.8 from ftp2
AOL 3.0 and LC
My Rebuilt SE
Re: SE/30
Color Classic - best upgrade?
Re: Old Mac, newer hard drive
Re: SE/30
SE and Uninsulated HD
Replace battery on LC475/Q605
Re: Classic Macs Digest 11.17
Pushing an SE
RE: Old Mac, newer hard drive
FYI ; source for Mac Web text browser
Suggestion
dead Color Classic
OT 1.1.1
Re: Macs with 68020
AOL breaking ClassicMac emails?
Re: Classic Macs Posts 11.15.2
illustrator 1.1
Thank You All
Re: netscape 3.0 on a MacIIcx
Re: SE/30 and 512k keyboard question
Re: Classic Macs Digest 11.17
Re: Upgrading an LCIII
Re: Netscape on SE
ram prices, power book
Color Classic -guru- advice

Subject: sys 6.0.8 from ftp2
From: Tim Scoff

I downloaded the disk images for 6.0.8 from apple and when I opened them up, they were just documents that wouldn't open up... not folders or anything.

do I need to use an ftp specific program like fetch to get this... it was pretty slow the first time.

You got the correct thing. You downloaded disk images. They are documents that need a program such as disk-dup to read.

A disk image is an exact copy of a floppy disk sector by sector. Today many programs will not install unless they are installed from the original disk. That way the programs are very hard to pirate. Shrinkwrap, the best peice of disk dup software I've seen yet, is able to bypass this protection by getting an exact copy of the disk.

Timothy K. Scoff

Subject: AOL 3.0 and LC
From: Paul

A question for the list. I have a friend with an LC -- the sole purpose of its existence is so that my friend can run America Online. Now, with version 3.0 out for the Macintosh my friend is looking for a way to run the software.

Unfortunately, I think his machine basically is unable to do this. But I thought that I would run this one by the list. He wants to spend little additional money....so....let's see what you can come up with!

AOL 3.0 apparently requires system 7.1 or later, minimum 8 Megs of RAM (16 recommended), 030 processor and ?? (I think that is it....but if anyone knows differently, please tell me.

Thanks!

Subject: My Rebuilt SE
From: B Soluski

Greeting old Mac afficianados(sp):

My first computer was an MacSE bought new 10 years ago. It was upgraded to 4MB and a new disk when the 20MB died. The analog board and floppy drive were also replaced in time.

As it was replaced with more powerful machines, it stayed in use in my household as a spare. That was till about two years ago when the screen shrunk and no fiddling could fix it.

A week ago, I saw an SE at a flea market and bought it just for the analog board. (A duel FDHD 1988 model.) I made one machine from the two. Moved the RAM that was not in the original to the FDHD. Moved the HD that was not in the original to the FDHD. Moved the "signature" case back from the original. My old SE works fine now for my 7 year old daughter.

Now the question:
Even though the only part from my original purchase is the back case cover, I still consider it my original machine. Do others of you feel the same about your upgraded machines?

Bruce

PS:
The signature case had the names of the developers embossed in the plastic. With a bracket from APS, an SE can hold 2 floppies and an HD.

Subject: Re: SE/30
From: Kenichi Watanabe

I recently got hold of an SE/30, no manuals, no system disks, no peripherals. My wife would like it to be a kitchen Mac, for some sort of...

What is the latest system a SE can use and where do I get it?
Will this guy only accept 800K disks?

If it's an SE/30, then it should should have a 1.44mb capable floppy drive. A regular SE may or may not have the high-density floppy drive, depending on model. It's possible that a previous owner replaced your SE/30's 1.44mb drive with an older 800k-only drive.

SE/30s can use System 7.5.5, but it should have 8mb RAM at least. System 7.0.1 and 7.1 are better for a 4mb system. You can get versions of system software (to 7.0.1 I think) at Apple's ftp site - ftp.apple.com

- Ken Watanabe

Subject: Color Classic - best upgrade?
From: Tim Steele

Can anyone recommend a good speed-up for my trusty Color Classic (10/360)?

Tim

Subject: Re: Old Mac, newer hard drive
From: Steve Dropkin

I have an old Mac Plus that is for my son's use and a newer LC 520 for myself. One day I attached the 50mb hard drive from the Plus to the LC. The problem occurred when I later realized that the Plus would no longer recognize the hard drive. Apparently, in connecting to a newer computer, I destroyed something in the drive and it is not repairable.

I hope you didn't install while anything was "live"! You may have fried some electronics, in which case your best bet might be to find another external case/power supply and transplant the drive (the drive likely is fine; it's the electronics which are toast). Simpler/cheaper: you might want to reinstall whatever disk driver (Apple HD SC Setup, LaCie Silverlining, whatever) you were using on the Plus drive... that might fix it.

From: Steve Dropkin

I recently got hold of an SE/30, no manuals, no system disks, no peripherals. My wife would like it to be a kitchen Mac, for some sort of cooking database and a PIM or at least a name and address program. I don't think she plans to print anything, but that might be a later option. I don't know anything about this little guy, except that he is quite appealing, as I am a PowerClone person. A couple of questions leap to mind: What is the latest system a SE can use and where do I get it? Will this guy only accept 800K disks?

We need to get some terminology straight here [g]. There were SEs with 30 MB hard drives and SE/30s (which generally came with 40 and 80 MB HDs though many of them have been reshopped with bigger drives by previous owners). There's a world of difference between them. The SE/30 is a pretty capable box: 16 MHz 68030 processor, the ability to handle up to 128 MB of RAM, Color QuickDraw in ROM (so you could connect a color monitor; you couldn't really do that on the SE), and 1.4 MB SuperDrives from the "get-go."

As such, an SE/30 (for that matter, an SE) can handle the latest version of 7.5; the only consideration is the space it takes on the HD and in RAM (you just may need more). It will also handle any program that will run on a 68030 and does not _require_ a color monitor (though you can add one, the price to do so will be pretty high). Mac OS software is now a commercial product; one good source I've found for System 7.5 is Shreve Systems in Louisiana; versions 7.0 and earlier are free and can be found on Apple's ftp sites.

If indeed you have an SE, then you will have no more than 4 MB on board (that's all they can handle) and many have a HD as small as 20 MB. If you don't have 4 MB now, get it. The drive should be easy to upgrade, too, though depending on how you get the cooking software, you may not need to do so (it may come on CD-ROM, in which case your big storage needs go away). The way to tell if an SE has the 1.4 MB drive is to look for the word "SuperDrive" near the floppy drive opening. Otherwise, it's 800 KB. I don't recall off-hand what's required to bump the drive to 1.4 MB beyond swapping out the drive.

Can anybody identify and source cooking or recipe software that the SE will run?

The only two cooking programs I'm aware of are called Mangia! and -- well, I don't remember the name, but it is from Cooking Light magazine.

How about an address book and calendar or a PIM?

There's a bunch of them, especially freeware. My sister has been using Berkeley Systems' Espresso and likes it a lot.

When I tried to put the shareware address book from the PowerClone onto the SE, it offered to re initialize my disk. Was this because it was a 1.4meg floppy?

Maybe. Or there could be a mismatch between drives. See if you can write a low-density floppy on the SE(?) that can be read on the clone. That should isolate the problem.

Subject: SE and Uninsulated HD
From: Kelley Boylan

I just bought a used SE for use as a spare email station, and its internal drive is playing havoc with the display. Apparently it's not well shielded. Anyone know of a material I can wrap around the drive or slip between the drive and display to keep the drive's motor from jiggling the display?

Thanks.

-Kelley-

Subject: Replace battery on LC475/Q605
From: ghl3.dtp

Greetings!

I got anew battery for my LC475 from Radio Shack, but could not get the black box off of the old battery on the logic board. What is the trick to this?

I, myself, just recently changed the battery on my Quadra 605 (same model as the LC 475). The tabs that hold the cover in place are on the ends, and it -is- very difficult to remove.

i------------------------i
[ /--------------------\ ]
[-- ( Battery | --] >--- Cover
\
Battery case

What you need to do is to use a small flat-head screwdriver, insert it into the side of the tab at the end of the cover, and -carefully- pry it out and up at the same time. When you replace the cover, you'll have to spread the ends out a bit again to get it back into place.

Hope this helps!

-- George
-- Mac RT Help Daemon, Genie Online Services