CMD Home | Subscribe | Index | 1996 Index | CM Trading Post

Table of Contents for this issue:
iisi sound fkey
Re: SE and Uninsulated HD
FPU for Color Classic failed to install
Re: Plus & Zips
Re: Classic Macs Digest 11.18
Cleaning Electronic Contacts
IIci/cx battery
HD SC and my IIcx
Re: Refurbished Mac SE
Re: Classic boot from ROM
Re: AOL 3.0 and LC
Re: Suggestion
RAM and System 7.7.5
Re: Color Classic -guru- advice
Games for Plus
Multiple replies
Getting a IIcx up to Net speed
Web page and more
Accessing TCP/IP through AppleTalk?
MacII and Superdrive
Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself...
parts vendors?
Re: Open Transport and MAC IIcx/7.5.5

Subject: iisi sound fkey
From: Pete Cox

Sorry, I should have found where it was before posting :)

It wasn't on info-mac; but umich.:( You probably should visit your local umich mirror to get this file so you don't strain the international link but anyway, here's an Australian URL for the file you requested:

ftp://sunsite.anu.edu.au/pub/mac/umich/system.extensions/fkey/twosisoundfix1.0.sit.hqx

Pete.

Subject: Re: SE and Uninsulated HD
From: Kenichi Watanabe

I just bought a used SE for use as a spare email station, and its internal drive is playing havoc with the display. Apparently it's not well shielded. Anyone know of a material I can wrap around the drive or slip between the drive and display to keep the drive's motor from jiggling the display?

I haven't tried this but a friend says you can try...

1. Reverse the direction of the hard disk in its mounting bracket. This may redirect the stray emissions.

2. Since the SE case has two openings, maybe you can switch the positions of the floppy drive and hard disk, putting the hard disk further away from the CRT.

- Ken Watanabe

Subject: FPU for Color Classic failed to install
From: Glushenko, Dmitri

Hi everybody

I recently purchase a 68882 FPU chip for my Color Classic. After I've installed it in the slot on the logic board (it seemed to be the right size; no other slots were there within eyesight), reassembled the box and pushed the power button, the Mac wouldn't start. I didn't hear the Mac fanfare, the screen stayed black until I turned the power off with the back panel switch.

From what I know, no signal at start-up means that circuitry test has failed. When I removed the chip, the Mac worked as though nothing has happened. I tried to reset p-ram as my local Mac dealer advised me (Command-Option-P-R at start-up), but to no avail.

What can be the problem, take aside the possibly bad FPU chip?

Here are more details to make the diagnostics easier:

1. Before installing the FPU, I put in additional VRAM (256k) which worked fine. I didn't reset p-ram before I did it.

2. My Color Classic always has 32-bit addressing turned on.

3. On the back side of the FPU chip there is a little sticker with the part No. After I failed to get the Mac live with the FPU and removed it from the logic board slot, the paint on the sticker became blurred. May it have happened because of the FPU crash or just because of the board's natural heating?

Thanks

Dmitri

Subject: Re: Plus & Zips
From: Dave Orne

I didn't bother learning to optimize the interweave ratio to get the maximum throughput for sustained transfers

Be frightened, be very frightened!! ;-)

I recently bought a Mac Plus for $49. A friend in my User Group gave me two old Hard Drives to restore and I kept the 80meg. Another friend gave me four 1meg SIMMs. I got to learn about that little resistor that you cut [...]

I also have an old Mac, upgraded to a Plus, then cut the little resistor and added 2 more megs to get 4 megs of memory. We run system 7.1.

My daughter uses it for school and has an old PLP II laser printer. However, I run a PowerBook 180C (68030) and can't communicate with her via SCSI as the Plus is interleaved at 3:1, and the PowerBook 180C is 1:1. (I tried a few times and ruined the SCSI on a 500 meg internal PowerBook drive!) I guess I could try to run Apple Talk, but I thought there must be a more efficient way. Someone told me that they run a Mac Plus at 1:1?? Can anyone confirm that?

I do have an Iomega Jaz drive and a Syquest. Is that where (learning to optimize the interweave ratio to get the maximum throughput for sustained transfers) comes in Hitz? Is there a way to copy software to a Jaz disc, optimize it somehow, and then plug it into the Plus?

Thanks,

David