Subject: Re: Plus & Zips
From: Robert Eye 0207949

From: Dave Orne
I also have an old Mac, upgraded to a Plus, then cut the little resistor and added 2 more megs to get 4 megs of memory. We run system 7.1. My daughter uses it for school and has an old PLP II laser printer. However, I run a PowerBook 180C (68030) and can't communicate with her via SCSI as the Plus is interleaved at 3:1, and the PowerBook 180C is 1:1. (I tried a few times and ruined the SCSI on a 500 meg internal PowerBook drive!) I guess I could try to run Apple Talk, but I thought there must be a more efficient way. Someone told me that they run a Mac Plus at 1:1?? Can anyone confirm that?

David,

I have run both a Quantum 53 MB HD and a Quantum 165 MB HD at a 1:1 (fixed) interleave on a Mac Plus under system 6.0.8 and 7.1. When I have reformatted these drives (using APS Power Tools 4.0.6), I do not have the option of setting the interleave to anything BUT 1:1 (the interleave option is grayed out). I cannot confirm the 1:1 interleave on any other mfg of HDs nor any larger sizes or newer Quantum drives.