Subject: MACII ROM
From: George Crane

Alan Larson asked:

I have a MacII with the original 800k floppy drive and an extra (and empty) floppy drive bay and plug on the main board adjacent to the plug in connection for the 800k floppy drive. I would like to add a Superdrive to the machine in the extra drive bay and have both floppy drives available to me. I understand that I may need some sort of rom upgrade and also the drive (and brackets?). The machine does have a Marathon 33mhz '030 accellerator installed. Does this affect at all what I may need for Roms?

Apple's official ROM upgrade kit(P/N MO244) came (comes?) with five chips, four ROM chips and a SWIM chip. Depending on the vintage of your logic board these are labeled a little bit differently. I don't know if the accelerator negates the need for these.