CMD Home | Subscribe | Index | 1996 Index | CM Trading Post

Table of Contents for this issue:
Re: Mac Plus HD problems
Earlier Individual Post
External monitor for a color classic
FreePPP
Granny's Classic
Mac SE 1MB System Software
More on LCII
Plus and external HD
Plus display
Plus on the net
Powerbook SCSI
Re: 040 and PPC List?
Re: Daystar Turbo 601
Re: FreePPP and a IIfx
Re: Video with Mac Plus
redundancy
Specification Sheets
System 6 shareware
ThunderCache from MicroMac
updating the driver on non-Apple Drives
Whacked Mac

Subject: Re: Mac Plus HD problems
From: ghl3.dtp

I have: reformatted, installed the system software (7.0 & 6.08), verified that the drive has internal termination (the terminating resistors on the drive itself are in place) and removed any external termination. Still, it refuses to mount before the floppy system boot. Help! It has me stymied.

Make sure that the bus is getting term power. Check the jumper.

The Mac Plus -does not- supply 'term power' to the SCSI bus -at all-. Luckily, all you need to do to remedy this is install a diode in the proper place. If you open it up, and remove the logic board, just to the left of the SCSI connector you'll see a place for the TrmPwr isolation diode that Apple chose to leave out. The board is marked properly, so simply installing a 1N914 diode in this location will take care of things in this regard.

Doesn't the Sys 7 Control Panel 'Startup Disk' take care of this? 'Startup Disk' is not mentioned in your post, so maybe it just got overlooked?

The Plus doesn't support the Startup Disk Control Panel. A startup volume setting wasn't added to the PRAM until the Mac SE.

When a Plus is started-up, it loads the -first- System folder it finds, and checks for it in this order: Floppy; SCSI ID 6, SCSI ID 5, ... to SCSI ID 0. If you have a drive partitioned, and both partitions have a System folder, it loads the one whose volume name comes first alphabetically.

Therefore, you have to make sure there is -no- start-up floppy in the drive to Start-up from the HD. If it still comes up with the "Question-mark Disk" on start-up, then it's either the term-power problem previously mentioned, or possibly a damaged or poor-quality SCSI cable.

Hope this helps! And please keep us posted! :)

Albert L. Lilly III:
7.5.5 takes up nearly 5MB on my Classic II, with no extras (QD GX or Powertalk, etc.)

Michael Hackett:
I don't dispute the first point, but with no add-ons, 7.5.5 only takes 1.5MB of RAM on my Duo 210. With a fewextensions, you can still keep it under 2.5MB.

I, too, would wonder why your memory usage is so high. I run a LC 475 on O/S 7.5.5, and with no extras run about 2 Megs. Under a standard configuration, which includes about sixty Extensions and thirty Control Panels, I average about 3.8 to 4 Megs. If you're using 5 Megs -bare- on a Classic II, you should seriously consider checking all your Control Panel settings. Something is amiss. Also, I've run my 4 Meg Plus on O/S 7.5.5, and it worked without a problem.

George

Subject: Earlier Individual Post
From: Albert L. Lilly III

Hi All,

I just wanted to apologize for sending out the individual post in response to a post I received ealier Saturday. I did not pay close enough attention to the listed address, and it went to the wrong server. I hope you all can overlook my mistake.

Al

[From the List Manager:

The Classic Macs subscibers are a great bunch of people - apparently no one was upset by the individual posts yesterdays.

Until Majordomo is set up we have found a workaround to the problem - the technical name of the list is now changed after each broadcast and the old name deleted, making it impossible for anyone but the list manager to broadcast to the entire list.

Thanks, Al! You've made some excellent contributions to the discussion.]

Subject: External monitor for a color classic
From: Mark or Leigh DeHart

Doe anyone out there know of a card compatible with the color classic that will let me attach a 13" monitor to the unit. If anyone has done this, are the results satifactory? What would something like that cost? My unit is running with a 33 MHz DayStar accelerator with FPU, so it has a little more horsepower than the basic C.C. (although I don't know if this will effect video at all).

Mark DeHart

Subject: FreePPP
From: armstrong

I use a IIfx 1120(extern)/8 with a 14". I have a problem with "FreePPP2.5v2", When i chose "Open FreePPP Setup" from the meny (phone beside the clock), nothing happens!. Somebody know why, or what to do??

Perhaps you could give a better explaination of 'nothing happens'? Really nothing? or you get a box but dont know what to do with it?

I've had friends puzzled over FreePPP who didn't realize you have to press on that little triangle in the lower left to get the Setup Box to 'open up'.

bob

Subject: Granny's Classic
From: George Crane

Peter in Hawaii asked:
Grandma's Classic ... is exhibiting some strange startup behavior. When she first turns it on at first there is no startup chime - just a screen filled with horizontal line patterns. After several seconds the picture shrinks to a small square in the middle of the screen. Everything then proceeds normally!!

What are "horizontal line patterns"? If these patterns are actually a checkerboard, there's a good chance that a ROM chip has worked loose. Check it out at board ref E1. Remove and reset (after taking all normal precautions to avoid getting zapped). The chip is smaller than the socket, so be sure you reinsert it to the left (away from battery)